Everyone experiences trauma.
Whether it’s an accident, a serious diagnosis, or a relationship that ends without warning, these events can stay with us for a long time after they occur.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (or PTSD) can surface after a range of events. We get a physical, mental, and emotional reaction to things that trigger the memory of whatever trauma we’ve experienced.
Those connections are very hard to break because of the emotional impact of the event, and it can happen with just about anything.
For me, one of the traumas I experienced was the emotional impact of growing up with my mother, so now even seeing my mom’s name on my phone creates a reaction in me.
And for today’s guest, my dear husband Zak Garcia, it was his experience as a Sergeant in the US Army in Iraq. Like many of our veterans, Zak had many traumatic experiences while he was in Iraq. This resulted in a tremendous emotional impact that has lasted to this day.
He’s made incredible strides in healing his body, mind, heart, and soul. And while the effects of PTSD may always remain with him, today he’s going to share his story and how he was able to not just survive, but create a life helping others do the same.
Here’s What You Will Discover In This Episode
- 4:14 – Zak’s emotional journey to being diagnosed with PTSD and how it forever changed his life.
- 12:13 – Zak’s inspirational path to recovery and what he learned along the way that can help you heal, too.
- 18:41 – The life-changing role that meditation played in Zak’s journey and why you should consider doing the same.
- 23:30 – The role of diet and nutrition in Zak’s journey with PTSD and how these changes aided in his recovery.
- 25:42 – The necessary role that family and loved ones play in the lives of people suffering from PTSD and what you need to know right now.
- 29:50 – The importance of forgiveness when it comes to healing and how you can learn to forgive others (and yourself) along the way.
- 33:42 – The incredible thing that Zak is really hungry for and what it really means to him.